Letitia Marion Hamilton RHA
A landscape painter from Dunboyne, Co. Meath, Letitia Hamilton was the younger sister of Eva H. Hamilton and a cousin of Rose Barton. She studied under Sir William Orpen at the Dublin Metropolitan School of Art, later studying in Belgium with Frank Brangwyn and at the Slade School of Fine Art in London. She regularly exhibited at the Water Colour Society of Ireland throughout her career and showed her first painting at the Royal Hibernian Academy in 1909 rarely missing an exhibition there for the rest of her life. She was a founder member of the Society of Dublin Painters in 1920. She held an exhibition with her sister in 1924 in Dublin showing scenes of Venice where she was later to have a studio. She travelled extensively and was rather unusual as an artist-traveller in the fact that she rarely used pencil or watercolour or any other light, easily transportable media, opting instead for the more cumbersome canvas and oil paint. In her later work she used an increasingly thick impasto applying the paint with a palette knife. She was appointed ARHA in 1934 becoming a full member ten years later.