1. Room bidders must register and obtain a bidding number on arrival.
Proof of identity is required from clients new to us.
2. If successful in obtaining a lot please ensure you display your number
clearly to the auctioneer and that it is your number that is called out.
If there is any doubt about the hammer price or buyer, please draw this
to the attention of the auctioneer immediately.
3. Payment may be made by cash, bank draft, certified cheque, or credit card - we accept Access or Visa (a charge of 2% is levied on credit card transactions by our merchant provider Elavon and this is charged on to the client). We accept Bank Debit cards free of charges
YOU DON'T HAVE TO ATTEND THE SALE TO BID
1. If you are unable to attend you may bid before the sale, using the form provided. Enter the maximum you are prepared to offer for each lot and the auctioneer will represent you as if you are personally attending the sale. Lots are knocked down at one step above the next highest bid, and not necessarily at your highest bid. Example: your bid is €1000 and next highest bid is €800 - the hammer price is €850.
2. LIMIT BIDDING: Absentee bidders may limit their total purchases to a set amount by entering their limit on the bidding form. This is especially useful for bidders wishing to cover as many lots as possible while setting a maximum amount to spend.
3. "OR" BIDDING: Absentee bidders who wish to bid on two or more lots, but only wish to purchase one, may do so by entering "OR" between the bids - the lots will be bid on in catalogue order.
4. EQUAL BIDS: In the event of equal bids being received for the same lot the first received will be given preference. If the instruction "break ties" is entered on the bid form the auctioneer will increase the bid by one step in the event of equal bids being received or in the event of a tie with a room bidder.
5. "BUY" BIDS: Unless otherwise instructed bids of "Buy" or "Buy at Best" shall be taken to indicate bids of up to three times the stated higher estimate in the catalogue.
6. LIVE TELEPHONE BIDDING may be arranged on request, subject to availability, on lots with a lower estimate of €2,000 or more (art sales) or €500 (Collectibles sales)
7. LIVE INTERNET BIDDING: For most sales we offer live bidding with streaming audio and video feeds so you can watch and listen to the auction and bid from anywhere in the world. Our platform is www.invaluable.com and you need to register there to avail of this service. Please click here to register. Invaluable make a charge of 3% of hammer price to successful on-line bidders.
8. INVOICING AND PAYMENT: Successful absentee bidders will be sent a pro forma invoice immediately after the sale with details of payment methods. All invoices must be paid within 7 days of the date of the sale or the lot(s) may be deemed in default and any subsequent losses incurred on resale become the responsibility of the bidder. The Auctioneers and House Agents Act, under which we are licensed to hold public auctions, only allows for lots to be handed over to purchasers when paid for in full.
FIREARMS: Most firearms offered in this sale are either antiques or deactivated. Those that are not can only be delivered to persons with a valid firearms licence for that particular type of weapon.
EXPORT LICENCES: May be required for objects of archaeological interest or of national importance sold to buyers outside the State.
IVORY: Certain countries, including the USA, ban the importation of ivory including antique worked items. Such lots may be seized and confiscated by the relevant authorities.
A complete list of prices realised and unsold lots will be sent automatically to all subscribers, and will be posted to our Internet website (www.whytes.ie) shortly after the sale. Those who don't subscribe may obtain copies of these from our offices (postage €1).
The buyer shall pay the Auctioneer a commission at the rate of 20% (Art Sales) of the purchase price (which excludes VAT at the prevailing rate under The Margin Scheme and which is not reclaimable).